To round up conference season, we headed to Toronto for Shopify’s 2018 Unite Conference. One VERY long flight later, we touched down in Canada.
The first day of Shopify Unite is designed for the Shopify Partner Network only. Day 0 included a series of tracks that allowed each different type of partner to attend the relevant sessions where ideas could be shared in the form of panel discussions, presentations and open Q&A with Shopify staff to help share challenges, successes and other experiences with the partner community. We met Shopify Partners from around the world and learned so much from how they run their Shopify processes and unique apps which they have worked with to custom fit their clients.
For those of you who know us, you’ll know we like to try local cuisines wherever we go and we’re pretty foodie. So we sampled some local delicacies..in case you’re wondering, this is what fried chicken in a waffle cone looks like.
To kick off Day 1 of the Unite conference, Tobia Lutke’s (Founder and CEO of Shopify) presented the keynote that allowed us to really understand where Shopify is heading and what their vision looks like. The focus of bringing down barriers to commerce and removing as much friction as possible to make commerce easier was loud in clear in his presentation to the conference attendees. There was also a strong sense of community in his presentation – one of his key goals is to make global commerce more achievable for all entrepreneurs around the world.
Our favourite part? Shopify are planning to build entrepreneurial hubs to encourage collaboration between Shopify store owners and offer real-time tech support. Think Genius Bar but cooler.
We also heard some major new announcements from the Shopify Team, including things like:
- Shopify Ping – Communicate with your team and leverage the Smart AI built into Ping to help you run your store
- Multi-currency for Shopify Payments
- Dynamic Checkout
- Advanced Discount types: BOGO and Quantity Discounts
- New Shopify POS unit with Tap capabilities
- Marketing Campaign manager inside Shopify
- Fraud Protect for Shopify Payments
- Shopify Services Marketplace
- GraphQL Admin API
- Shopify Flow connectors
The second day of the conference focused on two areas. Build and Scale. We split up and took one track each to maximise our learning ability.
- Build – This track was focussed on small sessions about key development topics and new information relevant for any Shopify developer
- Scale – This track focused on how sessions around business scalability, HR processes, management practices and other relevant business content to successfully run a business with Shopify as your chosen technology
The day ended with a surprise keynote speaker, Justin Trudeau, discussing leadership with the CEO of Shopify and the future of Commerce on a global perspective.
We’ve come back to Sydney feeling inspired and full of new ideas for our Shopify partners, so if you’re using Shopify now and you’re interested in a free consultation with a member of our team get in touch and we can make sure you’re using Shopify to its full potential.