What platforms can do from a scaling/automation perspective
Automation that can happen with MAGENTO –
Case Study JasonL
Jason L are One of Australia’s largest suppliers of custom and ready office products
Create an ecommerce store that fits in with the following objectives:
- High image, high performance site
- Best practices ecommerce store
- Advanced database capture
- Secure online shopping
Jason L has a lot of inventory and this inventory can be ordered outright or custom designed and fitted to large or small offices. Not an easy one size fits all solution for an ecommerce store.
We had to apply a lot of different techniques and custom solutions to make sure the site operated at full capacity without loss of security and data. Any complications with orders had to be ironed out and the site had to be optimized to ensure minimum loading times to enhance user experience.
We catch up with our Senior Developer John Vella to discuss Automation that was completed on Jason L.
- Automated database cleaning to empty unnecessary tables that build up over time.
What does that mean? The excess data build up occurs over time on all sites, especially if there is high traffic. Information such as for example – A user accessing a site.
Without the automated database cleanup, the website database can become hard to access and very slow to respond. In some instances we can see up to 3G of data build up. The problem with this is your site will get slower.
- External systems auto management fulfillment.
3rd Party Inventory Management Systems can be linked to Magento to manage Customers/Inventory/Stock/Orders information automatically. All this information will feed directly to your eCommerce site without double handling.
- Product customisation – price changes automatically based on types of product added to package. The price for multiple customised products is set to zero at the beginning, with configurable product customisation, the prices refresh to a default base price.
In short, with this update Magento now automatically calculates the total price based on all the individual components for a customised item in the order so customers see only one total price. The system we have implemented is like a build your own product function allowing you to customise individual components of a desk or chair.
- Shipping rates – module built for 3rd party shipping company integration. The system now talks to the Shipping Supplier’s API. This allows for measurements/dimensions + the weight of items in the cart and retrieves a quote back from the system. This shipping quote then gets shown to customers on the Jason L website in real-time.